Checking the quality of total RNA on an agarose gel.
• The 28S and 18S ribosomal RNAs should be discrete without a leading smear.
• The 28S band should be about twice as bright as the 18S band.
• There should be little or no genomic DNA in or near the wells.
• There should be no extra bands between the well and the 28S band. This is DNA contamination
• If your total RNA samples meet the above criteria, proceed to the next step: spectrophotometry.
• If your total RNA samples do not meet the criteria, contact CMG for consultation. Samples may require re-purification if there is obvious DNA contamination. If there is evidence of excessive degradation, consideration should be given to obtaining new samples.